2013 WWII and Vietnam Re-Enactment and Korean Tribute
Lest We Forget WWII and Vietnam Re-Enactment and Korean Tribute
May 17 - 19, 2013
LWF Sponsored Events -
Guests scheduled to appear -
est We Forget presents WWII and Vietnam Re-Enactment and Korean Tribute
Lest We Forget will present its sixth tribute to veterans May 17-19, 2013 at the Southwest Michigan Regional Airport. This year will see many of the popular features of the past events return, plus some new additions. While we will not have the WWII beach landings, we will see more WWII battles at the airport, a Vietnam re-enactment featuring Huey helicopters, Vietnam vehicles and the 25th Infantry "Wolfhounds" and tributes to the Korean veterans.
The project officer for this event will be Bill Womer, a member of Lest We Forget. Bill is a retired SGT MAJ from the MI National Guard and retired social studies teacher from St Joseph High School. Bill will be assisted by members of Lest We Forget heading the various committees with support from the community. The event will be co-sponsored by Fairmount Minerals, Emergency Physicians Medical Group and Lakeland Regional Health Systems, Whirlpool, Meijer and JohnsonRauhoff. In addition to these sponsors, Lest We Forget couldn't function without the support of grants from the Upton
Foundation, the Schalon Foundation and various service clubs. To stage this re-enactment over $60,000 must be raised. There is no charge for the events at the airport and donations are gratefully accepted.
For several weeks prior to the event, both sides of the road leading into the airport will be lined with flags through the cooperation of the Benton Harbor/St. Joseph Exchange Club and Michigan Works Bridge Academy. Refreshments and light meals will be provided by the Experimental Aircraft Association. There will be WWII and Vietnam re-enactments and a tribute to the Korean soldiers.
Event Schedule (preliminary - times and events to be verified)
1. 1-3 pm at Tiscornia Beach there will be several landing craft giving rides to the public. The rides will be $10 each with WWII veterans and children 17 and under riding free.
2. 4:30-7:00 pm there will be a military vehicle, motorcycle and classic car parade through Benton Harbor and St. Joseph with a 30 minute stop. The parade will go down State Street prior to the Opening Ceremony of St. Joseph's "Planes, Trains and Helicopters" public art display. This parade will be a repeat of the vehicle parade last year, which was highly successful.
3. 7:30-9:30 pm there will be a reception and presentations by the Medal of Honor recipients and other distinguished guests at the Airport Hangar.
1. Two WWII re-enactments: one at 11 am and the other at 3 pm.
2. A Vietnam re-enactment complete with two Huey helicopters (Med-evac and assault), troops, and military vehicles at 1 pm. During the event there will be a Vietnam compound set up.
3. Flame-throwing demonstrations will be conducted both Saturday and Sunday. The flame-throwing demonstration will be performed by Larry MacLean of Rochester Hills, MI.
4. Parachute drops by the Mad Dog Parachute team from South Carolina at 10 am and 2 pm
5. Demonstration by Johnny Mayo, Vietnam dog handler and his trained dogs. Johnny is from South Carolina.
6. Presentations by Medal of Honor recipients and other distinguished guests at 4-6 pm in the Hangar
7. Korean Tribute 6-8 pm.
8. Hangar Dance from 8-10:30 pm. This dance will be a repeat of last year with The Moonlighters led by Paul Friday providing the music. Last year, this was enjoyed by the re-enactors and the public.
9. WWII fashion show during intermission of the dance.
10. In the hangar will be the master modeler Jerry Lindquist with his display of military dioramas and military history, Weldon and Lorraine House with their display of the history of the USO, sale of LWF merchandise and a display of WWII fashions by Kathy Pendergrass of Decatur.
11. In the field will be the 20th Century at War Museum from Holland, MI. This is an interactive display of military field equipment featuring vehicles, signal and other military equipment. There will also be military aircraft from WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Two Vietnam Huey's (medevac and assault chopper) from Kokomo IN will be providing rides to members, plus a Korean Bell helicopter and other aircraft will be onsite.
1. Church service at 9 am.
2. Presentations by Medal of Honor recipients and other distinguished guests from 10 am-12 pm.
3. WWII Re-enactment at 1 pm.
4. Flame-throwing, and parachute drops will be conducted during the day.
The schedule is flexible and subject to change. For questions
please call Don Alsbro at 269-921-7176, firstname.lastname@example.org or online: www.lestweforgetusa.org.
Southwest Michigan Regional Airport
1123 Territorial Road, Benton Harbor MI 49022
- Don Alsbro .................................................................. 269-925-7176
- Lew Burchard, VP and Chief of Operations ..................... 269-429-1006
- Jim Brinkmann, Finance & Sponsorships ....................... 269-983-7700
- Vicki Dunlop, Public Relations & Media ......................... 269-468-5679
- Dr. Gary Lulenski, BC Memorial Coordinator .................. 269-428-3442 or 269-208-9761
- Melinda Michael, Auction & Website .............................. 269-876-2923
- Ray Damaske, Event Security ...................................... 269-930-1243
Click here to download a copy of the 2013 brochure: